Noob question about rebates/savings

Yves S. Garret yoursurrogategod at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 22:37:18 EDT 2009

Hi,

   I'm just starting out with GNU Cash and I'm reading the guide/tutorial
that came with it.  It seems like a really cool way to do just what I wanted
to do with my expenses :) .

  Here's what I did and my question.  Today I bought tea for $2.99.
However, after scanning in my Stop & Shop card, it gave a "savings" of
$0.49.  So, I ended up paying only $2.50.  I would like to keep track of
that $0.49 deduction.  I created a brand new file and went to the Groceries
account.  I entered the $2.99 and then put in the $0.49.  The problem is
that it deducted the amount and failed to record the those forty nine cents.

  I set the view to Transactional Journal (not sure if this information will
matter or how much), it seems to give me a nice view of things.  It gives me
the impression of having a single transaction/overall purchase.  However,
when I switch to Basic Ledger it just breaks up the transactions into
nonsensical individual lines (I tabulated how much I spent on each one of my
items that I bought for my groceries), which leads me to think that I'm
using the tool incorrectly...

  Help welcome!

--Yves