Fwd: Troubles with price retrieval

Doug Brown toquehead at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:04:46 EST 2009

Sorry for the resend, but my reply came across blank when I received my
GC list digest.

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Doug Brown <toquehead at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I still haven't solved my problem.
>>
>> I have upgraded to fq 1.1.17 via gnc-fq-update, and no change.
>>
>> Can someone confirm that if gnc-fq-dump works correctly (which it does - see
>> below) then my fq is installed OK, and the problem is with my GC binaries? I
>> think this started when I upgraded GC from 2.2.7 to 2.2.9.
>>

> How do you have you commodity (stock) configured?  What do you have for
> the mnemonic?  What do you have for the quote source?  Then what happens
> when you run gnc-fq-dump using those settings?

I went into the Security editor and turned off price retrieval or all
securities except one. I retried getting quotes in GC and it still fails
with an indeterminate error. I'm not sure what you mean by mnemoic, but
I have a Symbol of "CHO304". Quote source is "stockhousecanada_fund" in
the "Unknown" category.

gnc-fq-dump appears to work fine to me:

C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-dump stockhousecanada_fund cho304
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: cho304               <=== required
      date: 12/11/2009           <=== required
  currency: CAD                  <=== required
      last: 14.9602              <=\
       nav: 14.9602              <=== one of these
     price: 14.9602              <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

Which I thought was telling me FQ was installed OK.
> If gnc-fq-dump works for you with the correct settings then you can try
> testing gnc-fq-helper.  I would be really surprised if it's GnuCash
> that's broken.  More likely it's F::Q.

It took me a while to figure out what to do with gnc-fq-helper; not
knowing the magical incantation to pipe the input in an XP command
prompt, I resorted to typing the source and symbol on stdin:

C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-helper
(yahoo "CSCO")
(("CSCO" (symbol . "CSCO") (gnc:time-no-zone . "2009-12-17 11:30:00")
(last . 23.23) (currency . "USD")))

which seemed to have worked correctly. It doesn't, however, work for my
particular quote:

C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-helper
(canadastockhouse_fund "CHO304")
Undefined fetch-method canadastockhouse_fund passed to
Finance::Quote::fetch at gnc-fq-helper line 368
#f

But the docs in gnc-fq-helper state:
# where <method-name> indicates the desired Finance::Quote method.
# The currently recognized subset is yahoo, yahoo_europe,
# fidelity_direct, troweprice_direct, vanguard, asx, tiaacref,
# and currency.

so I guess canadastockhouse_fund is expected to fail with gnc-fq-helper.

Thanks for your assistance.

d.