Farm & Community Accounting - Any experience?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Dec 20 10:17:31 EST 2009

Get professional help.

You have a number of reporting needs and I do not believe you will be
advised to try to do this all on one set of books.

I am assuming that SOME of this commune's activities are money making
businesses and these should probably have their own books. The main
problem with the previous advice (just like a partnership) is that "not
really". With a "normal" business partnership the main business would
ordinarily dwarf the transactions between the partnership and the
partners so those can be "adjustments". But in your case I rather
suspect that the financial interaction between the commune and its
members might dwarf the "regular business" and it isn't going to work
"tail wagging dog".

In other words, I think you will be best off treating this as TWO
partnerships, one entirely money making and one group sharing of living
expenses -- just the identical set of partners/members.

Note that it might not be easy finding the professional expertise that
you need as this form of organization isn't common.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.