gnucash directory and file locations

Mike & Penny Hubbard mhubbard at sssnet.com
Mon Dec 28 20:54:19 EST 2009

I just installed gnucash 2.2.9 today and spent a few hours entering
information for my small business.  Everything seems to work fine and I
like the program.  But, when I went to move a copy of the gnucash file
to another location for backup purposes I noticed that I have a lot of
gnucash directories and files in my user directory.  I am not talking
about the .gnucash file, the backup, and the transaction log files, as I
have recently moved those to another subdirectory.  The directories and
files that are in my user directory are:

.gconf [directory]
.gconfd [directory]
.gnome2 [directory]
.gnome2_private [directory]
.recently_used.xbel [file]
.ntuser.dat.LOG1 [file]
.ntuser.dat.LOG2 [file]

I don't know if I did something wrong during the installation that put
these files there, but I don't want all of these items cluttering up my
user directory.  These folders and files seem that they should be in a
gnucash subdirectory under Appdata - can I move them there?  Is there
somewhere else that these directories and files should be moved, as they
certainly should not be in the main user directory, which is reserved
for top level directories for documents, music, pictures, etc, not
application files and directories.

I hate to have to lose the data that I input today, but wish I had
checked the directory earlier, as this clutter is a show stopper for me.

Thanks for your help,

Mike