Year end procedure...

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Dec 30 17:58:31 EST 2009

>You can create new transactions since it uses a date as to when to close the books (so for me, I do transactions on 1/1/2010 onwards, and they won't be pulled in by the close-books function.
>
>Since it's just a really big "split" transaction, you can still change stuff in the old books, you just have to make the same changes in the equity transfer transaction if you want it all to still hold as the "close", personally I wait until I've gotten all statements/transactions from the prior year finished before I do the close books, but this is personal use, business use may require different handling.

Since for my organization (which does require formal reporting) these
matters are of relevance I'll describe how I do it. In my case:
a) I might have to be able to produce TENTATIVE end of year reports
depending on the date of the January board of directors meeting. Might
be subject to corrections, etc. On line banking or credit card reporting
no use here. Just because I know "a transaction has taken place" doesn't
mean I can enter it into the books as might need to contact the person
responsible asking "what was that for?" Yes they are supposed to tell me
but it's an all volunteer organization and sometimes people are lax. As
a matter of fact, I don't myself produce the "formal" reports but
instead send what GnuCash produces (Balance Sheet and Income Statement)
to the person who uses that data to create a proper GAAP for non-profits
annual report. In extreme cases I might have to recreate the reports
after entering "late reported" transactions (which WOULD require redoing
"close the books").
b) I might already have transactions reported for the new year I need to
be able to enter.

So HOW? I assign the date of Jan 1st to be outside of any year (no
external transactions). That is the date used for closing the books. The
date ASSIGNED to the closing transactions -- actually not likely done
till at least a week or two into January). So when running an Income
Statement or other "for a period" report this date would not be included
in the date range (an Income statement for the calendar year would be
Jan 2nd through Dec 31st --- remember, no external transactions dated
Jan 1st).

If it turned out that I had to redo "close the books" (a major late
reported transaction that would distort expenses for the year) I would
just delete those two Jan 1st transactions and then redo them after
entering what was missing. And of course rerun the reports (and if after
the person who created the according to GAAP version, he'd have to
redo/fix that too).

In terms of security (legal) after the final version a directory
containing the books and exported reports for the year are burned to
media and distributed both as remote backup and check against later
alteration -- in other words, not all copies are under my control. After
all, as somebody who once made my living designing and creating
financial software, no "part of the program" security would be
meaningful even if it existed.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.