Sales Tax with GnuCash

Pablo Francesca rshgeneral at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 20:20:51 EST 2009

Its my understanding that Gnucash is primarily a personal accounting software, albeit one capable of handling most business accounting needs.  The Sales Tax issue you raise arises-at least if I understand you properly-because Sales Tax from a personal accounting perspective is an Expense account.  If you pay for something, you may wish to record its actual cost as separate from its total cost.  Most/some people won't do this.  If you are not interested in recording how much sales tax you pay as a consumer each year, it seems mostly unnecessary.