US Equivalent of Canadian GIFI?

Brenden Walker Brenden at diablops.com
Tue Feb 17 12:50:13 EST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 03:10:28 -0800 Don Quixote de la Mancha <quixote at dulcineatech.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up the GnuCash accounts for my new business, and would
> like to know if there are any kind of standard account numbers for use
> when filing United States and California taxes.
>
> Canada Revenue Agency publishes the General Index of Financial
> Information (GIFI), which has the official numeric designations for
> Canadian corporations to use on their financial statements:
>
> http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4088/README.html
>
> For example, GIFI item 1000 is Cash and deposits, 1002 is Deposits in
> Canadian banks in Canadian currency, and 1003 is Deposits in Canadian
> banks in foreign currency.
>
> If the US has any kind of equivalent to the GIFI codes, I think I
> should use them, but Google doesn't turn up anything.

I do not believe we have anything like that in the U.S. or any States I'm familiar with.  I presume they do that to make auditing easier or something?

I could be wrong, but I'm sure that there's nothing like this in Ohio or Florida.  Haven't lived in California for over 10 years so I can't be 100% sure on that.