asset allocation report

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 15:45:44 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Brad Haack <bradhaack at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'd like to be able to generate an asset allocation report.  Each stock
> or mutual fund would be assigned to an asset class, or partitioned into
> several asset classes.  I don't see an easy path to accomplish this, any
> ideas our there?
>
> One way to get there would be to created an asset summary report &
> export the html.  Run it through html2text (sure seems like GC should
> have a csv or flat file export option!).  Massage the data with a script
> or in a spreadsheet or octave.
>
> A better option would be a new report which used an input file which
> held the security asset class data.  I don't know scheme, so this isn't
> something I'd want to tackle right now.
>
> Any ideas?  Surely someone has already tackled this?

I don't believe that GnuCash currently stores asset class information or
even has a place for it. This is something for the investments area that
just doesn't exist yet. And there is really no difference between the
"stock" and "mutual fund" account types except in name. There needs to be
some design work done for investments in general, as there are plenty of new
features that could be added to improve the user experience.

I'd be very interested in helping with the design & coding of improvements
to investments if I were not already kept fully busy fixing basic problems
like register issues, especially crashes. Once that stuff is addressed,
fixing the lot management for investments and adding support for importing
OFX investment transactions would probably have a higher priority than
adding new features as well, at least for me.

-Charles