are scheduled/recurring transactions ignored by reports?

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Wed Feb 25 04:17:02 EST 2009

On 24 February 2009 at 22:56, kevinfishburne said:

> I think this post
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Beginner-help%3A--budgets-and-scheduled-transactions
> -td22123915.html#a22123915
>
> may have been asking the same question, but to make sure I thought I'd
> phrase it differently. Do any of the reports take scheduled transactions
> into account? Any report I run shows the actual scheduled transaction (the
> one I entered manually prior to scheduling it), but not the future
> occurrences of it within the report's specified date range.
>
> If this is the case, has anyone written or modified an existing report so
> that it is capable of using scheduled transactions? Having no practical
> way to project one's finances into the future would cripple an otherwise
> fantastic program.

The reports show the transactions that are present in the ledger. There
are doubtless several reasons for this, but the killer that springs to my
mind is this: scheduled transactions will often be variable, either in
amount or date.

Would you really want to have to supply variable data for a collection of
scheduled transactions *every*single*time* you run such a report?

Far better IMHO to use the existing facilities for entering transactions
in advance.

FWIW, most of my SXs are on a 30-day lead time. A one-month advance view
of my cashflow is adequate for me most of the time. If I want to see the
effects of a fixed-term account maturing in April, I'll use a
spreadsheet.