Mac OS/X Up and Gnucash startup errors

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 26 10:50:43 EST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Steve Drach wrote:

>>> I run Mac OS/X 10.5.6 (9G55) and a Fink installed Gnucash 2.2.8.
>>> All was fine until I installed an update that came out two days
>>> ago.  Since then, when I try to start gnucash, I get an error
>>> stating it cannot find default values (see attached photo).  If I
>>> go through the setup process, I get a window, but it seems to be
>>> "dull" or missing something -- hard to explain, perhaps fonts or
>>> styles are wrong.   Then if I quit and restart, I get the same
>>> error message.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> <pastedGraphic.tiff>
>>
>> An update of what? gnucash 2.2.9 was posted in fink a couple days
>> ago, but you mention 2.2.8.
>
> Sorry.  Mac OS/X security update
>
>> I have seen the first message once -- when I left X11 running after
>> it had talked to a different instance of dbus/gnome-settings-daemon
>> than the instance gnucash was expecting. Quitting x11, then
>> relaunching gnucash solved that problem for me. I used the Quit
>> button in the first dialog to make sure my old settings weren't
>> overwritten.
>
> That was an easy test that didn't work (i.e. same error message)
>
>> dbus in fink has undergone several changes lately. If you use 'fink
>> update-all', you probably have a new version of dbus. While I've
>> never been able to pin it down, rebooting has occasionally helped
>> in the past after a dbus installation. Less drastic action could
>> well solve the problem, but I've never been able to figure out why
>> I've had the problems in the first place.
>
> I haven't updated lately.  I could try that.  What is "dbus"?
>
>> If you're talking about a system update, did you install xquartz
>> from macosforge? If so, you may have to reinstall that.
>
> No, because I usually don't have to, but a system upgrade could
> easily clobber something, so I'll try that
>
> Derek mentioned it could be a gconf issue.  i imagine so.  I wonder
> why a system upgrade would break it, perhaps a permission problem.
> I guess I'll look there too.

Well, the security update installs a buggy freetype. People on the
fink lists have been reporting other consequences, but it does look
like Apple has done this to you. Installing xquartz may well solve the
problem (Apple's x11 is simply wacko, at the moment). I think there is
another solution somewhere, but asking on the fink lists will probably
help (if you can't find the answer searching fink-users last couple
days of archives).

--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net