Need some ideas

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jan 24 15:52:45 EST 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009 18:34:10 Steve wrote:

> There was no pay off of the original mortgage. The first people abandoned
> and the second buyer just brought a downpayment. Where would I transfer
> funds from to close out the 1st mortgage?

Hi,

The way that I see this: you have an asset - which is either a house, or a
mortgage loan to others (or possibly a combination!).

The first (defaulted) mortgage would be cleared by reducing that loan asset to
0.00, but adding that value back into the assets:property1 account. (you said
in your 1st post "I got the property back in my name." - gnucash should
reflect this asset ownership)

If the subsequent purchasers didn't think that the house was worth what you
thought it was, and so you sold it for less than your "book value", you'll
need to adjust asset:property1 downwards, before recording the sale (and
transfer of asset to the new mortgage account)

IANAA, but that is how I'd do it (until told otherwise by the professionals!).
HTH,
Maf.