Crediting a customer

Dave Williams dave at opensourcesolutions.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 17:04:29 EDT 2009

On 21:27, Wed 22 Jul 09, Des Dougan wrote:
> If you're asking how to credit an account using the business functions,
> then it is possible, in a two-stage process. If you search back through
> the archives for about 6 to 8 weeks ago, there is a thread where I asked
> that question, and received help on making the credit work. I tested it
> and it works fine. Not by any means perfect, but it does work.
>
> Des
>
> --
I found the thread at the end of June, beginning July between you and
Derek.  I'm obviously missing something in my understanding or doing
something wrong.

I start by using Process Payment under Business | Vendor.  I then select
the Vendor.  I have to ignore the Bill field because I cant create a
negative bill for the credit amount anyway but I then fill in the Amount
field (as a positive number) for the credit the vendor is giving me.  I
fill in the Num with the Vendors' credit note number and  provide a Memo
entry.

I can only post to Accounts Payable (as that is the only selection
possible in the default business chart of accounts). That makes sense as
it will look like a Pre Payment.

Where I get stuck is what to select as the Transfer Account. Only Asset
or Liability Accounts appear in the tree - not Expense accounts.  I dont
what to touch my checking account or other liability accounts as no real
transaction is taking place (e.g. no money enters or leaves my bank).

What should I be doing?

Dave