splitting account (with child account) balances

Michael McKay michael.mckay at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 3 23:58:06 EDT 2009

The income statement (income-statement.scm) summarizes accounts and
calculates the net income.

The calculations look like this:

	  ;; sum revenues and expenses
	  (set! revenue-closing
		(gnc:account-get-trans-type-balance-interval
		 revenue-accounts closing-pattern
		 start-date-tp end-date-tp)
		) ;; this is norm positive (debit)
	  (set! expense-closing
		(gnc:account-get-trans-type-balance-interval
		 expense-accounts closing-pattern
		 start-date-tp end-date-tp)
		) ;; this is norm negative (credit)
	  (set! expense-total
		(gnc:accountlist-get-comm-balance-interval
		 expense-accounts
		 start-date-tp end-date-tp))
	  (expense-total 'minusmerge expense-closing #f)
	  (set! neg-revenue-total
		(gnc:accountlist-get-comm-balance-interval
		 revenue-accounts
		 start-date-tp end-date-tp))
	  (neg-revenue-total 'minusmerge revenue-closing #f)
	  (set! revenue-total (gnc:make-commodity-collector))
	  (revenue-total 'minusmerge neg-revenue-total #f)
	  ;; calculate net income
	  (set! net-income (gnc:make-commodity-collector))
	  (net-income 'merge revenue-total #f)
	  (net-income 'minusmerge expense-total #f)

I'm not sure what the divide by 2 function is but this snippet shows how to
take a set of user-defined accounts and perform some math on them.

The revenue_accounts and expense_accounts are defined by the user in the
reports options.  You could set up several options with a mix of account
types for the various accounts you need to define.

Yours,

Michael McKay
MJM Consulting
613.724.8169