Compatibility issues with Compiz?

Ulrik Haugen qha at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jun 8 16:39:11 EDT 2009

This reminds me remotely about my life before I disabled esd. If I
started a Gnome program (I don't run the whole Gnome desktop) before I
started to play music then my Gnome program would start but then all
may music players that weren't set up to output sound to esd couldn't
do their thing. If I started playing music first then any Gnome
program I tried to start would just hang while trying to auto spawn
esd.

Nowadays it seems Gnome no longer requires you to install esd so this
might be even less likely, but perhaps it will get you thinking in a
more fruitful direction.

hth
/Ulrik