Evaluating feature set against other accounting software

Y.Khusid at ieee.org Y.Khusid at ieee.org
Thu Jun 11 17:13:56 EDT 2009

Greetings community members.

I have been asked by a volunteer group from a non-profit organization to
identify freeware accounting solutions that provide book keeping abilities
and allow for building a custom functionality on top of them. Each
solution is to be evaluated against the same set of criteria. Below is the
list that I compiled for GNU Cash. Please review and correct me where I am
wrong (please point me to the URL that describes functionality that I
though is absent from the tool). Thank you - we appreciate your help!

Freeware          --- YES

With additional fee, upgraded/additional features are available   --- NO

Ability to create custom plug-ins via SDK or API          --- YES

Online edition available          --- NO

Desktop edition available         --- YES
Desktop edition is auto updated   --- NO
Desktop edition has a web connector to connect to a web server    --- NO
OS supported by Desktop edition Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS
X, Windows

Support available       help manuals and online forums

# of user accounts allowed in web edition       N/A

Demo site         --- NO

Supports multiple languages       --- NO

years of the first and latest releases  1998 - 2009

Number of the community developers      13

Hosted version available          --- NO

Support for multiple OUs          --- NO

LDAP integration is available     --- NO
Superadmin functionality for managing multiple units/companies exists ---
NO

QIF/OFX/HBCI file format import   --- YES

Reports   --- YES

Scheduled Transactions    --- YES

 Multi-Currency Support   --- YES

Simple annual budget    partial

Account Reconciliation    --- YES

Schedule Recurring Payment Reminders      --- YES

General Ledger, Accounts Receivable and Payable   --- YES

Transactions audit report         --- NO