sql backend - guid

bdebrabant bdebrabant at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:09:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to gnucash 2.3.1, and am now using the postgresql
backend.
The speed has significantly improved (compared to the xml backend),
especially while generating reports, which is really good news.

I was also thinking of populating the price database directly, from a
second database I'm maintaining.
Hence my questions:

1) It's not really clear why guid are characters, while it could have
been quite easy to use integers (& autoincrement)...
    Also, for some tables, like the price table, I'm not sure who
usefull a primary key on guid can be.
    Wouldn't it be better to have a primary key on
commodity/currency/date/source for instance?

2) Would it be safe to generate guid other than by calling qof functions?
    Any idea how to do it?

Thanks,
Baptiste