Invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 29 10:10:20 EDT 2009

John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

> I have a rule for my business: Any communication to a vendor or
> internally in the business can be scribbled on whatever is handy, but
> if it goes to a customer it has to look perfect. I may not be classy,
> but by gosh I'm going to *look* classy.
>
> So GnuCash's invoices are letting me down. But maybe I have missed some
> possibilities, so here are a few questions:
>
> 1) I set the font in Edit > Preferences > Printing, but GnuCash is
> still using the ugliest font ever designed for the invoices. I can't
> find the setting for invoices. I hope that miserable font is not
> hard-wired. Can I change it? Also, is there any way to set the point
> size differently for various sections of the invoice?

Which Invoice report are you using?

Unfortunately GtkHTML doesn't really let you set fonts..   In 2.4
we'll have a templatized Invoice available which should help significantly.

> 2) It is printing my logo at about 2.5 cm from the left edge of the
> paper, but the rest of the invoice is indented about 8 cm. As a result
> the columns are not very wide. Furthermore, the customer address is not
> going to fit my window envelopes. Can I adjust the margins?

Again, GtkHTML issue and out of our control.

> 3) I can't figure out how to make it stop printing a due date. I'd
> rather put something like n/30 in the terms, or nothing at all and then
> state the terms in the Notes box. I unchecked the box for Billing
> Terms, but it still displays a due date. And I can't leave the due date
> blank when I create the invoice. is there a way to suppress the due
> date, at least when printing?

Nope, there is no way to stop that without modifying the scheme
file to get it to do so.

> 4) I read the documentation on changing the starting invoice number,
> but I am unclear whether editing the XML file will allow me to prefix
> the invoice number with the year, like "2009-."

No, it wont.  The auto-increment field is a single number, not an
arbitrary text string.