Gnucash very slow after importing 13 yrs data from Quickbooks

Lincoln A. Baxter lab at lincolnbaxter.com
Mon Mar 2 20:56:54 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 23:36 +0000, matthew-gnucash at newtoncomputing.co.uk
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 01:55:34PM +0000, matthew-gnucash at newtoncomputing.co.uk wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:57:21PM -0500, Donald Allen wrote:
> > > The first thing I'd be suspicious of is your home-brew Gnucash file.
> > > I'd suggest double-checking somehow that its form and content are
> > > correct. I'd also suggest running top and vmstat while Gnucash is
>
> I think I've got it, after some file comparison and a bit of
> thinking.
>
> The only differences I could see between 'my' file and a
> gnucash-generated one was that the UUIDs were different. Gnucash
> UUIDs look fairly spread out over the number space, whereas I'd
> created mine as sequences 1, 2, etc just for testing (padded with
> 0s).
>
> The slowness in loading was pretty much all CPU, not disk.
>
> Having realised that loading gets slower the further through the
> file, I suddenly wondered if Gnucash uses the UUID in memory as
> keys in a hash. Whether this is true or not, changing my UUIDs to
> "echo $ordinal | md5sum" and everything runs fast again!
>
> Now all I need is a Perl version of the Gnucash UUID generator...
> (if anyone has one, please shout!)

http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Data-UUID/

Works great... or did 6 years ago, back when it was on version 0.06... I
see no reason why the current one would not work.  If you are a perl
guy, you gotta know that CPAN is the largest open source repository in
the world...  Always look their before inventing a new perl wheel.