Online Banking APPVER/APPID

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 10 12:18:02 EDT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:

> I got a notice from my bank saying I was using Quicken 2006 and they
> were no longer going to support that.  Under expert settings in the
> OFX
> setup, I added APPID: QWIN APPVER 1600 to mimic Quicken 2007.  Does
> anybody know any other issues that might come up?  I'm assuming OFX is
> OFX and if AqBanking supports OFX 102 then it ought to work regardless
> of whether or not my bank knows if I'm using a "supported" app or not.
>
> -Dennis

Their 'version unsupported' claim could just mean they are mimicking
Intuit's approach to disallow versions more than 2 years old. It could
also mean that they are going to insist that the ofx clients support
additional authentication (they claim it is multifactor
authentication, but it is really just another password-like token).

aqbanking4 (not quite released yet, it's at release candidate 4) will
support CLIENTUID for ofx connections. I've seen one report that just
putting in a uuid there is enough to satisfy the new scheme of
authentication. None of my financial institutions use the CLIENTUID
field yet, so I haven't had to experiment.

The unix command 'uuidgen' creates a uid that matches the length and
punctuation of the CLIENTUID shown in the examples of the recent OFX
specs.

You should be able to use the same uid for all bank connections from
your computer because the uid is supposed to uniquely identify a
specific instance of the client software, not necessarily identify
you. Once you successfully connect with a bank that requires
CLIENTUID, changing the CLIENTUID may take a call to your bank to get
them to reset it. That will make it hard to use Quicken and then
gnucash.

Dave
--
David Reiser