Custom Reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 18 12:43:44 EDT 2009

"Colin Scott" <gnucash at double-bars.net> writes:

>> Is there a particular reason why the default report settings don't
>> work for you?  The P&L report is pretty straightforward.
>
> Just a few!
>
> * I can't find a report entitled "Profit & Loss" or anything similar.

What version of GnuCash are you using?

  Reports -> Income & Expense -> Profit & Loss

> * I need an account depth greater than 3
>
> * I need to exclude some accounts

What accounts do you need to exclude?  and why?

Yes, once you set a non-default set of accounts it will not pick up
new accounts.  Why should it?  How is the report supposed to know
whether or not the new account should be included or not in your
hand-picked set of accounts?

> * I need to change the columns that are displayed
>
> * I need to change the report title
>
> * I need to change the sorting and sub-totalling

Um, I dont think the P&L (or Income Statement) *HAS* any sorting
features, or subtotaling...

> * I need to change the report date.

You'll need to do this every time you run the report anyways, so
making a custom report wont help you.   Or you can just set your
global Period date preferences and now the default will work right.

> Apart from that, I've no doubt that the standard report is exactly what I
> want.  :-)

Why not configure the report and just leave the tab open?