Bill System Questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 25 14:24:33 EDT 2009

Hi,

Please remember to CC the list on all replies using your mailer's
Reply-To-List or Reply-All functionality.

John Griessen <john at cibolo.com> writes:

> I'm often wanting to create new bills similar to old ones.  Is it possible
> to make a guile script to create a new bill?  Pointers appreciated to the code
> chunks I would patch to add this feature...  or can it be a plugin?

Right now there's no code to create a new bill as a duplicate of
an old existing bill.  Writing the code to do that should be fairly
straightforward.  Instead of doing this as a plugin I'd do the work
in the invoice-dialog and add a "duplicate invoice" function that
performs all the magic necessary to create a new invoice from
an existing one, duplicating all the line items as well.

Writing a guile script to create a new bill is certainly do-able,
but I don't think there are any examples.

> If a plugin is the way to do that, can it be distributed with the source of gnucash?

Sure.

> Is there a wiki or such repository for add-on scripts and plugins?

Nope..  basically any cool features like this generally get merged back
into gnucash and shipped with the product!