Advanced Portfolio and basis calculation - errors in calculations or errors in data entry?

Pierre Constantineau jpconstantineau at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 03:23:10 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I have been scratching my head to try to understand the advanced
portfolio report and a couple of the columns I am getting out of it.

Here are my transactions for a given stock:

2006-08-03   Purchase    Stock XYZ    Shares 1700  Price 3.31  Buy 5627.00
                                     Commissions
             Buy     51.00
                                     Cash
                                                  Sell 5678.00
2008-06-20   Add Shares  Stock XYZ   Shares 823   Price 0       Buy 823
2008-06-21  Purchase      Stock XYZ    Shares 1500  Price 4.11  Buy 6165.00
                                     Cash
                                                  Sell 6165.00

As far as I know, the above is how I think it should be coded. I only
have a commission on one transaction and the 823 shares didn't cost me
anything - they were given to me by my employer as a stock purchase
incentive...

I obtain the following information from the Advanced Portfolio report:

Shares: 4023
Basis : 11792.23
Value: 8026 (current price is 2$)
Money In 11843
Money out 0
Realized Gain (50.77)
Unrealized Gain (3746.23)
Total Gain (3797)
Total return -32.06% (ouch!)
Brokerage Fees 51

To total gain looks fine as it displays the difference between money
in and current value (nothing out yet).  However, the realized and
unrealized gains are questionable.  How did the report get (50.77) of
realized gains?  I would understand (51) Nowhere in the transactions
did I put in something with 0.23.  Same with the basis.  I would
understand the cost of the shares without the brokerage.  However,
here I have pennies added to what I am expecting.

Is this a problem in how I entered the addition of shares to the
account?  I don't want to record it as income now since I will only
get the money when I sell it.  My actual cost is properly shown in the
"money in" column, however, I have no real idea where the basis gets
it 23 cents.  Does this have anything to do with lots - even though I
selected the average basis calculation instead of FIFO or LIFO.  Here
in Canada we go with the adjusted cost base and don't really have to
track when and for how long we keep stocks.  Just how much they
cost...

I am using GC 2.2.9 on XP
Price source is most recent,
basis calculation is average
set preference for price list data is checked.

Thanks for the help.

Pierre Constantineau