Availability of Printable version of documentation

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:18:33 EDT 2009

Robert Heller wrote:
> At Wed, 06 May 2009 12:50:29 -0400 "H.S." <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Can the the docbook file of Gnucash Help be downloaded from, in case
>> someone wants to run dblatex on it?
>
> I would guess it is included in the source archive.
>
> I think it is also possible to go directly from docbook to pdf, using
> tools and scripts from docbook-utils and docbook-utils-pdf:
>
> sauron.deepsoft.com% less -X `which docbook2pdf`
> #! /bin/sh
> jw -f docbook -b pdf "$@"

Interesting. I might try this as soon as I get some spare time.

> sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qf /usr/bin/jw `which docbook2pdf`
> docbook-utils-0.6.14-4
> docbook-utils-pdf-0.6.14-4

On Debian:
$> apt-cache search docbook utils
docbook-utils - Convert Docbook files to other formats (HTML, RTF, PS,
man, PDF)
docbook-xml - standard XML documentation system, for software and systems
gnome-doc-utils - a collection of documentation utilities for the GNOME
project
kdeutils-doc-html - KDE utilities documentation in HTML format

And, description of docbook-utils:
PDF)
 The docbook-utils is a set of a few small programs intended to ease
 everyday use of technical documentation software and more generally use of
 SGML and XML.
 .
 Tasks they currently accomplish are:
  * jw: convert Docbook files to other formats (HTML, RTF, Postscript, PDF).
  * sgmldiff: detect the differences in markup between two SGML files.
  * docbook2man: converts a DocBook refentry to a man page.
Tag: implemented-in::perl, interface::commandline, role::program,
scope::utility, use::{converting,editing,text-formatting},
works-with::text, works-with-format::{docbook,html,man,pdf,postscript}

Regards.

ever having been read.