Entering Preexisting Shares

Michael McKay michael.mckay at sympatico.ca
Mon May 11 11:56:10 EDT 2009

The accounting rules require assets to be listed at their book value which
is the purchase price.  The current market value of an asset is unrealized
until you sell it.  If you include the market value of assets in your
balance sheet by using the current price rather than cost, you will also
need to include the unrealized gain/loss in the equity in order to balance
the assets and liabilities.  The balance sheet options have a check box for
this.

Yours,

Michael McKay
MJM Consulting