personal loan to friend, unpaid accumulating interest account

Donald Coleman don at coleman.org
Tue May 12 04:50:12 EDT 2009

When one has made a loan, what account should source the unpaid interest?
As long as payments are regularly made, which include the monthly
interest, there is no need for this.

But in this situation, payments are being skipped, so the loan balance
is increasing, as the unpaid interest is accumulating.   So from where
should I transfer "owed interest" into the loan balance?

So I have four accounts currently involved in this loan.

Assets:Current Assets: Bank
Assets:Investments:Loan to Friend
Income:Interest Income:Investments
Unspecified

I would like gnucash to track accumulated unpaid interest.
Currently I'm using the "Unspecified" account to be the source account
for this, but I think there should be a better account.

I shouldn't use an income account, because it's not income until the
loan is actually paid... I guess it's an asset... but then I have a
negative balance in an asset account, which as long as the interest
isn't paid, is balanced by the accumulated unpaid interest reflected in
the loan account -- but once the payments are caught up and owed
interest paid, the interest paid will be an income, and not able to
balance the negative asset balance in the account tracking the unpaid
interest...

So I'm a bit confused as to the correct solution here, with regards to
the account type and hierarchy...

Thanks for any help,
Don