Setting up accounts and reports

David Nichols seawolf2913 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:35:54 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone-

I'm just starting with GNUCash and I have one problem that I can't get my
head around.  I've had no luck coming up with the right search terms to find
the answer in the archives.  I would like to be able to track /where/ I
spend my money, and /why/ I spend my money and I can't figure out how to do
both.  For example, I'd like to track how much money I spend at NewEgg each
year and I'd also like to track how much money I spend on Christmas gifts.
Not all Newegg purchases are for Christmas presents, and not all Christmas
presents are purchased at Newegg.  Is there a way to flag transactions so I
can filter them later?  (for example, flag all Christmas purchases
regardless of the accounts they're in.)  Alternately, Is there a way of
setting up an account that I can post transactions to that doesn't affect
the balance sheet?  The thought is to enter a purchase twice, once in the
"Newegg" account that affects balances and once in the "Christmas purchases"
account that does not affect balances, just gives me a total of transactions
in the account.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some guideance.  I can really use
the help.

David