Is there a way to run gnucash --add-price-quotes in the windows scheduler while I have gnucash running?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 18 10:28:38 EDT 2009

Hi,

Chris Lim <clim_79 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am running gnucash 2.2.9 on a Windows XP machine.  I can retrieve online quotes from the GUI, and have set up a scheduled task on my machine to automatically download stock prices in the evenings (using the --add-price-quotes command), but I noticed that everytime this task attempts to run while I have the gnucash program open, I get a fatal error from the scheduled task, and a LCK file gets stuck in my gnucash user folder I have to manually delete.  Sometimes I leave the application open on my machine all day, which is what leads to the issue.
>
> That being said, is there any way to be able to run the scheduled task while I have gnucash open?  Or do I always have to make sure that I am not running gnucash when the scheduled task runs?

I'm afraid you need to make sure that your desktop gnucash is NOT
running when your --add-price-quotes job fires.  GnuCash can only have
one instance running at a time.  This is true both for instances of the
UI and for the background processes.

However I don't know why it leaves the lock file around -- that *is*
a strange behavior..  The batch should notice the lock file and just
exit.