Using Downloads of Accounts

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 09:57:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009 06:39:21 -0400, "Lincoln A. Baxter"
<lab at lincolnbaxter.com> wrote:
> This the original message was posted to the GnuCash, list, I am assuming
> the intended import is to GnuCash, and that GnuCash, is the program to
> be used.  If so, without question the Quicken OFX/QFX format works well,
> from multiple banks.  I have used that format from at least 6 different
> banks without problem. The first time you import a new download GnuCash,
> askes you for the account associated with that download.  From then on,
> it remembers.

Ah, I was not aware that OFX/QFX was Quicken. Then of cause gnucash can
do that import itself and should be used.

>> > How do the rest of you deal with this?
>>
> This is your choice. It depends on whether you want to predict closely
> what your balance is (will be), between downloads from the bank. If so,
> enter the checks and transactions as you make them.  The downloads will
> generally match up with checks you have entered if the date of clearing
> is close, the amount you entered is exact or the check number matches.
> The import tool will show this as a Reconciled transaction, instead of a
> Added transaction.

Question: Does that required cheque-number -matching work if there is
not cheque-number because 99.9% of all transactions I see are
SEPA-transactions
or cash-withdrawals? (Are these outdated paper-things still in use anywhere
outside that one north-american country?)

Marcus