automatic progressive transaction id across accounts

Havard Rast Blok nn2 at hblok.net
Sun May 24 16:10:58 EDT 2009

Hi again,

Although I'm not 100% about Paolo's usage, I can imagine that a 32 byte
"random" string is not quite what he had in mind.

For my own business accounting, every single transaction has to be
backed by a physical receipt. To easily search and identify the pile of
papers which quickly accumulate, each receipt is numbered, from 1 and
up. The link between the papers and the accounting system is this
number. In other systems, this number is auto-incremented for each new
transaction.

 From my point of view, the requirements for this ID would be:
- Auto-increment for each new transaction.
- IDs of previously typed transactions should not be altered.
- +1 increment should continue even if a new transaction is back-dated
to a date before a transaction with a lower ID.
- There should be a user defined starting ID.
- Padded zero's should be respected, e.g. 0001, or 09001.
- Based on what Paolo mentioned, there might also be a requirement to
define a more complex ID, i.e. based on country, department, etc:
UK-HR-2009-0001.

Regards,
Havard