Does the scheduled transactions feature work?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat May 30 17:37:44 EDT 2009

Ken Heard <ken at heard.name> writes:
> In other words, it is impossible to create a scheduled transaction to
> begin on a date before the system date.  When I was setting up my
> gnucash in April 2009 for the fiscal year to begin on 1 January 2009 I
> would have found such a feature useful.

No, the scheduled transactions feature can create transactions before
the current system date.

Ken Heard <ken at heard.name> writes:
> Anyhow, in the transaction editor I did as follows.  In the Overview
> options I selected Enabled and Create automatically.  In Overview
> occurrences I tried to enter the last date I wanted for this
> transaction, but I was not allowed to enter any other date but today's.
>  So instead, I set the occurrences to 13.

The "Occurrences" section is either the "end date" of transactions to
create, or if you want to create a specific number of transactions, you
would do so here.  If you entered "13 occurrences" but left "1
remaining", then only one transaction will be created.  I would
recommend leaving the "Occurrences" section at "Forever", at least at
first.

> In the frequency window I selected monthly, to begin on 2009-01-01,
> every 1 month, on the 1st.  In the template transaction I entered the
> accounting details.  Finally I selected the big + and then Enter.
>
> I consequently expected the transactions for each month from 2009-01-01
> to 2009-04-01 to be entered, but they were not.  Is there something
> wrong with this feature or with me?

Make sure to actually *create* the transactions via the "Actions >
Scheduled Transactions > Since Last Run" menu item and dialog; this is
the same dialog that is invoked on startup.

If you do select "Create automatically", the since-last-run dialog will
not popup (though a must simpler message dialog will), which means you
won't get the opportunity to see the transactions, postpone or adjust
their date, or review the actually-created transactions.  I suggest you
unselect "Create automatically", at least at first.

But creating post-dated transactions works just fine.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}