Gnucash no more usable

Olivier Cailloux mlsmg at ulb.ac.be
Fri Oct 2 10:09:20 EDT 2009

Dear gnucash users,

Gnucash crashes on my computer as soon as I try to open an
account (from an old-created file or a new file) or try to show various
views or initiate various actions. I can basically not do anything with
gnucash any more. It opens correctly, but then, as soon as I trigger
some action such as opening an account, it exists without error
message or displaying anything on the console.

I have successfully used
gnucash a few months ago without problems, but had not used it for quite
a long time before re-starting it today. Naturally I don't remember what
I changed in the meantime...

Is there some way to know what is happening?

You will find attached a log produced with
-~$gnucash --debug --extra --logto crash.log
and with the following actions: I clicked on "close" on the Tips window,
waiting for gnucash to complete starting, answered Yes to the question
whether gnucash should open my usual accounting file, considering that
it is locked (because it was still locked from a previous crash), then
double-clicked on the account "Revenus", which made gnucash crash. I
guess that it is indeed crashed and not simply have its window hidden or
something similar because:
-~#ps ax | grep [c]as
yields no results.

When starting from console, gnucash says:
-----
-~$gnucash
gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
configure time.

Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
-----

My gnucash version, running on debian stable, is:
-----
~$gnucash --version
gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
configure time.

GnuCash 2.2.6
Compilé le 2008-08-28 depuis r17427
-----
(It's not the latest version but I'd like to stick to debian stable if
possible.)

Thank you for any help or pointer!
Olivier