Gnucash no more usable

Olivier Cailloux mlsmg at ulb.ac.be
Thu Oct 8 10:15:24 EDT 2009

Thanks to those who replied.

I aptitude-purged gnucash, and deleted ~/.gnucash (I don't need those
settings) (oddly enough aptitude did not remove that for me, although
gnucash was successfully removed and aptitude gave no error message).
Then I aptitude-installed gnucash again, and launched it: same result.
It seems, furthermore, that my old settings are not entirely removed as
gnucash was still able to remember what the last file open was (it asked
me whether I want to open that file or create a new one, as before
reinstalling).

Further details below.

Derek Atkins a e'crit:
> Hi,
>
> Olivier Cailloux <mlsmg at ulb.ac.be> writes:
>

>> Dear gnucash users,
>>
>> Gnucash crashes on my computer as soon as I try to open an
>> account (from an old-created file or a new file) or try to show various
>> views or initiate various actions. I can basically not do anything with
>> gnucash any more. It opens correctly, but then, as soon as I trigger
>> some action such as opening an account, it exists without error
>> message or displaying anything on the console.
>>

> What happens if you run:
>
>   gnucash --nofile
>
> Does it start up or crash?  If it starts up, what happens if you
> File -> Open (and then open your datafile)?

I realize that my description was unclear (sorry). gnucash does load
correctly, and show up an empty window or the create file wizard or the
main page with the account names and hierarchy if I open an existing
account file. What crashes is as soon as I try to really do something,
such as when I try to open the details of an account operations by
double-clicking on an account (even when it is an empty account just
created by the new file wizard). Same thing when starting with --nofile.

> Can you get a Stack Trace?  See <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace>

I followed the first method (attaching gdb to the running gnucash after
starting), created a new file using the wizard, and made it crash by
double-clicking the Expenses account. However gdb gives me plenty of
"unable to load symbols" messages when loading the libraries. Should I
install the debug versions of some libraries to make the stack trace
readable for you? The instructions on the wiki page are not very clear
for Debian... Should I rebuild gnucash
[http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace] or is there already some
debugging library somewhere [http://debug.debian.net/]? Here is the
result anyway.

----
(gdb) continue
Continuing.

[Switching to Thread 0xb6608710 (LWP 1229)]
0xb7da8db5 in gnucash_sheet_styles_set_dimensions ()
from /usr/lib/gnucash/gnucash/libgncmod-register-gnome.so
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb7da8db5 in gnucash_sheet_styles_set_dimensions ()
from /usr/lib/gnucash/gnucash/libgncmod-register-gnome.so
#1 0xb7da8fc0 in gnucash_sheet_compile_styles ()
from /usr/lib/gnucash/gnucash/libgncmod-register-gnome.so
#2 0xb7da98af in gnc_table_init_gui ()
from /usr/lib/gnucash/gnucash/libgncmod-register-gnome.so
#3 0xb7e22810 in gnc_split_reg_new () from
/usr/lib/gnucash/libgnc-gnome.so.0
#4 0xb7e1dd27 in ?? () from /usr/lib/gnucash/libgnc-gnome.so.0
#5 0x094a17b8 in ?? ()
#6 0x08f6f000 in ?? ()
#7 0x0000000a in ?? ()
#8 0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt full
#0 0xb7da8db5 in gnucash_sheet_styles_set_dimensions ()
from /usr/lib/gnucash/gnucash/libgncmod-register-gnome.so
No symbol table info available.
#1 0xb7da8fc0 in gnucash_sheet_compile_styles ()
#2 0xb7da98af in gnc_table_init_gui ()
#3 0xb7e22810 in gnc_split_reg_new () from
#4 0xb7e1dd27 in ?? () from /usr/lib/gnucash/libgnc-gnome.so.0
No symbol table info available.
#5 0x094a17b8 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#6 0x08f6f000 in ?? ()