Accountant's comments on GNUcash

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Oct 20 14:52:25 EDT 2009

At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:38:04 +0300 Wahur <vahur.lokk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:54 PM, <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 05:45:12PM +0100, John M Collins wrote:
> > > Here is what my accountant says about GNUcash - would anyone like to
> > > comment?
> >
> > I guess the real question is -- what, specifically, should
> > gnucash be doing instead.
> >
> > Writing on its webpage in VERY big friendly letters:
>
> This software is for managing personal finances only and use of no more than
> single currency is strictly recommended. Any use of this software in
> business or multicurrency environment requires significant programming
> skills in C and another obscure language that nobody else but gnucash
> developers use. Breaking this rule may have an adverse impact to your mental
> health and you may be destined to do your accounting by yourself until death
> releases you.
>
> I think if such a disclaimer is hanging on a visible place in frontpage it
> will do.

GNUcash does work just fine for a small business (small as in
sole-propriatoriship, eg single person consulting type business, so
long as you are not fussy about things like the *exact* format of
invoices [unless of course you know the other obscure language...] and
don't mind hand-creating recurring invoices [eg monthly/quarterly/etc.
billing]) and does have the business features to support this usage.

*Maybe* someday it will have the additional features (eg multi-user,
POS, inventory, payroll, etc.) for other sorts of businesses, but it is
not there yet.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933