gnucash won't open

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Oct 30 14:07:51 EDT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 17:41:15 houndhen wrote:
> Maf. King wrote:
> >
> > Hi Harold
> >
> > Do you have scheduled transactions (SX) which auto-run?
> >
> > If so, one of these may be causing your problem.
> > Start GC with the --nofile option, edit the prefs to disable auto-running
> > of
> > SXes, File->Open your data file and see if there is an SX due to run
> > today,
> > and try to figure out what is wrong with it (changed one of the
> > accounts?)
> >
> > HTH,
> > Maf.
> >

> Here is what I got. A new blank file opened and when I closed it the Found
> Finance::Quote version 1.13 was the output.
>
> gnucash --nofile
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.
>
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
> gwenhywfar-INFO: plugin.c:  577: Plugin type "ct" unregistered
> gwenhywfar-INFO: plugin.c:  577: Plugin type "dbio" unregistered
>

> Not sure I am using this forum correctly. It is quite different from what I
> have used in the past.
>
> Harold

Hi Harold.

You seem to be OK using the forum - it is for asking questions about using GC
& general accounting, so you seem to qualify there!

Do you have auto-running SXes or not? - you seem to have done the first stage
of what I suggested, but not the subsequent steps.

I'll re-list my suggestion, in a slightly more verbose way.

At a console, run the command  (without quotes) "gnucash --nofile"
 - you shouldn't get a new file, but a GC window with *NO* file.

Go Edit->preferences -> Scheduled Transactions [tab] -> uncheck Run when data
file opened.   Hit Close.

Go File -> Open ... [your data file] or use the recently-opened list under
File.

Does your data file load OK?

If so, look at what SXes may have been due to auto run, and see if you can see
anything amiss.

HTH,
Maf.