Open read-only - how?

Phillip Richcreek pwrichcreek at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 15:31:31 EDT 2010

Paul:

>When I choose "open anyway", I'm able to write to the file.  Of

During my testing on file sharing (see Sharing Database - Windows/XP
(RESTATED) and Sharing Database - Windows/XP), I encountered the
situation where choosing the Open Anyway option resulted in the file
being opened for read-only. When I finally got the GnuCash file
locking mechanism to correctly recognize that both of the computers on
my network should have read-write access to the database, I failed to
open and the other also tried to open it, to verify that the second
computer had read-only access and could not modify the data.

After seeing your entry here, I went back and tested that case and
found that, indeed, the second computer is permitted to open the file
and make changes to it, even though another computer has it open.
Looking at the text of the unable to obtain lock message, I realize it
makes it pretty clear that you SHOULD NOT Open Anyway.

Geert:

Apparently the read-only behavior was a "benefit" of not having
Windows write permission to the file on one of the computers. Once the
write permission was defined, that behavior disappeared.

Does this ring true? Is there any way to let the second computer read
the file but not be able to modify it, when another computer has the
file open? Perhaps a GnuCash command-line parameter? If not, it might
be safer to not even offer the Open Anyway option.

Thanks,

Phil(R)