Custom Reports

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Aug 18 16:46:04 EDT 2010

>You seem to have entirely the wrong end of the stick about what the
>problem is here.  Nobody is talking about saving the _result_ of a report
>(although that's trivial to do if one needs to), but saving the report
>_definition_ - ie, the set of parameters that specify how one wants the
>actual report to differ from the supplied template.

Yes, although I would be careful to distinguish between "CONSTANTS"
(that are being changed from the supplied template) and "PARAMETERS"
which are different every time the report is run.

>It is rare, in real life, that once a report is defined it will never be
>amended:  users need different information, new accounts are defined and
>need to be incldued in the report, etc etc.
>
>Colin

Different information, new accounts added to the chart of old accounts
deleted (and account selection involved), etc.yes these properly would
(and sometimes should) require saving the reports to a new name. I chose
those examples intentionally. In the first case (new/different
information to be reported) it SHOULD be a new name and in the second
(there was account selection specified and a change in the chart of
accounts meant that list needed altering) it's a nuisance. Which means
"plan ahead". Choosing names carefully for things that must be saved "in
versions".  Thus if I were creating a report  with sensible human name
XYZ instead of ever saving to that name might choose to save to XYZv01
(the first time). The next saved name chosen would be XYZv02, etc.

Michael