Tracking Money in Savings Account

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:19:57 EST 2010

If by `balancing' you mean reconciling, you reconcile the checking
account, and make sure to check the "Include subaccounts" box in the
opening reconcile dialog. It will pick up all the transactions against all
the subaccounts.

This behavior is sort of perfect for what you want: your checking account
shows the balance minus the hold-asides that you have in your subaccounts,
so it's telling you what you want it to about what you have available --
taking the hold-asides into account; the real amount only appears when you
reconcile, and when you are looking at the Accounts page balance for the
checking account.