Installing Finance::Quote on my XP machine

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 20 10:21:41 EST 2010

Hi,

Please remember to CC gnucash-user on all replies using your mailer's
reply-to-list or reply-all functionality.

"d0npatt1" <d0npatt1 at windstream.net> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for starting me down the right path. I now have PERL 5.10 installed,
> but for some reason GnuCash does not appear in my All Programs list. So I
> can't follow the path
>
> Start > All Programs > GnuCash > Install Online Price Retrieval.
>
> Or am I still looking in the wrong spot?
> Can I use Windows Explorer and go to:
> Program Files > GnuCash > Bin
> and click on a line to initiate the Install?

I have no idea why it's not in your All Programs -> GnuCash folder.
That seems like GnuCash didn't install properly, or you did something.

> Also, I looked all over the Help file to figure out how to install
> Finance::Quote and it doesn't look anything like the wiki instructions. What
> are the chances of getting this information added to the Help file?

Send in a patch to the help file.

> Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to have "Install Stock Price Retrieval
> Software" as a line in the "Actions" dropdown menu? I would picture it
> working like this.
>
> Click on "Install Stock Price Retrieval Software"
> If PERL is not present a message widow would appear with the text:
> ActivePerl 5.8 or 5.10 software must first be installed on your computer to
> perform this action. Provide link.
> If PERL is present the install takes place.
> If Finance::Quote is already installed, "Install Stock Price Retrieval
> Software" would be grayed out.
> If PERL is ever uninstalled, the "Install Stock Price Retrieval Software"
> would stop being grayed out.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds great!  I look forward to your patch that implements it!