reply-all should be discouraged

cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 07:51:04 EST 2010

Derek-

I should add that I actually conveyed my reply preference by using a
proper Mail-Followup-To header.  Eg.

but the list software (foolishly) strips it out.  So you had no way of
knowing not to send me a duplicate.  Sorry about that.

Also, I was hasty in my comment:

> I actually have the list configured to only send one copy to my
> account, but the list software also makes a poor choice here; it
> passes along the message with missing headers.

The list s/w obviously only has control over one message, so I can't
fault the list for withholding the only dupe it can.

I suppose the only option for users who don't want dupes is to add a
messy footer to their messages, since Mail-Followup-To is stripped
out.