Stock price changes and asset-equity balance

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Tue Jan 5 14:36:43 EST 2010

Not quite.  When you manually update the stock price, the number of shares (which is the value maintained in that asset account) is unchanged.  All that changes is the market value, which is shown on the accounts page, which is #shares times most recent price.  You are correct that on the accounts page, there is no corresponding change to the equities due to unrealized gains.

If you run a balance sheet report, the accounts section will show the same values as on the accounts page, and there will be an unrealized gains line under equities.

Phil