GnuCash can't calculate?!

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Thu Jan 21 09:44:45 EST 2010

On 21 Jan 10, at 18:33, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Thursday 21 January 2010, Wouter van Marle wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 10:20 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Another question is are there outstanding invoices from more than a
>>> year
>>> ago?  Do a search for invoices from this customer and see if the
>>> invoices are marked as paid or not.
>>
>> Most invoices (there are about two dozen of them) are not marked paid.
>> This is a recurring issue to me, for some customers it works, for some
>> not.
>>
> Just to be clear: you have a number of invoices for which you have
> entered
> payments (and that are payed completely) while GnuCash doesn't
> indicate them
> as paid ?

Generally I do not link a payment to the invoice (i.e. when entering a
payment I do not fill in the "invoice" field). Especially in case of
this customer which involved advance payments and payments for multiple
invoices at a time.
In my business I have to deal with quality claims and the like, that I
do by simply amending the invoice (adding a negative amount in it, e.g.
I sold something at $450, get a claim, and add a second line with the
same number of units but a price of ($30) for example). So unposting
and re-posting the invoice.

> That suggests GnuCash has lost track internally of your payments and
> it's not
> only a display issue.

Well that for sure! There is a credit on their side: they payed more
than invoiced (partially because of cancelled orders, partially because
of above mentioned claim issues). It obviously has lost track somewhere
down the road.

Now for many other customers it also lost track (not marking invoices
as paid correctly and so), but that marking paid I am not using -
doesn't make much sense to me as invoices are usually paid in two
payments, and often several orders outstanding to a single customer at
one time. The total balance that's what counts to me. In older versions
you could not link a payment to an invoice, and then it would just mark
the oldest invoice paid as soon as the amount was large enough: again
that was in my case sometimes not the invoice that was paid, as a later
order was delivered earlier.

There is however so far only one customer where I found the totals to
be off. Many customers (and vendors) have a balance of $0.00 (or
correct non-zero balance), but with a '0-30 days overdue' of say $4,000
and '60-90 days overdue' of ($4,000). That is yet another bug, but one
that doesn't bother me as those payment due dates also don't make sense
in my business, so I also tend to ignore that part.

It's hard to file a proper bug report because other than "this happens"
I have no idea on how to replicate it, or why it would be.

Finally I have to admit that I often manually mess around with
payments, deleting payments to invoices and so. Sometimes because I
used the wrong currency (happens when you are using three currencies on
a daily basis), so posted to the wrong account and so. I know that's
"not allowed" by Derek but it is allowed by GnuCash and for me the
easiest solution to clean up those mistakes, or to simply remove a
deposit that has been returned because of cancelled order. All that
kind of issues.

As you see my business doesn't work like the "average" business - so
accounting remains a hack job sometimes. Either I remain somewhat
current and have to make corrections, or I'm hopelessly behind and have
no way what's going on financially but can enter everything correctly
after the fact.

Wouter.