Correcting Reimbursed expenses questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 31 21:30:06 EST 2010

trythis <grahamlane at gmail.com> writes:

> OOPs, All my Accounts Payables should have been Accounts Receivables!
> Let me rephrase the question:
>
> It seems I can apply purchases I make and plan to get reimbursed for in
> Asset:Accounts Receivable:ClientA and it shows up in ClientA 's accounts
> Receivable.
> If I do this, it seems I end up doubling the accounts receivable when I add
> the items to an invoice. So that doesnt work unless there is a way to create
> an invoice of all or partial unpaid accounts receivable. (<<that seems like
> a great feature!) Is there a way to apply existing accounts receivable to
> invoices?
>
> No? Thats OK.

Yes, there is.. That's what the "chargeback" is for..

But your other issue is that you should never enter an A/R or A/P
account in the line items.

The way this is generally handled is that you can use an Asset or an
Expense account for the purchase of the materials in A/P, and then in
the invoice you can charge that back to the customer via Income
(E.g. I:Reimbursed Expenses) or back to the Asset account.