Query regarding reconciliation

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Jul 5 15:49:23 EDT 2010

On Monday 5 July 2010, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> If I have say, two accounts, cash in wallet and expenses:gifts.
>
> Will reconciling my "cash in wallet" account(or a single transaction in
> it), mark the corresponding transactions in the expenses:gifts account
> as reconciled. I don't think it does, shouldn't it?

Reconciliation happens on the account level. So if you reconcile your "Cash in
Wallet" account, it will only reconcile the transaction splits in that
account, not the transaction splits in for example Expenses:Gifts.

As I understand it, reconciliation is used to validate your bank account
statements against your input in GnuCash. Your bank account statements only
hold information about, well your bank account. So these statements can't be
used to verify the balancing splits of your transactions. So it wouldn't be
correct if GnuCash marked these splits as reconciled as well.

Geert