Odd Register Behavior When Trying to Add An Account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 12:42:52 EDT 2010

I have checked my situation in greater detail, and I can confirm that the problem lies with using Tab vs. Enter to leave the field. Specifically, if one types in a new account with the drop down activated, Tab triggers the dialog box, while Enter returns you to the drop down at the last valid node in the hierarchy.

While I understand (given my experience with Gnucash) that there is a fundamental difference between Tab and Enter in the Gnucash realm, I think the distinction here is far too subtle. (For what it's worth, I think the distinction generally is far too subtle)

Should this be filed as a bug report, or is this simply an extension of How Things Are In Gnucash?

David

P.S.-- I am wondering how the whole Tab/Enter distinction is implemented in the SQL-based version of Gnucash. Will the transaction be committed to the database when Enter is pressed on a split? Will it NOT be committed if the user presses Tab? What kind of extra overhead will get generated when the user has to change the Imbalance split line each time?