Trouble Loading Finance::Quote

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Tue Mar 30 15:41:57 EDT 2010

Re-reading this section of the doc, yes, I see that I had a misconception
about how this feature is invoked once it has been installed [probably due
to my having read the review first - it's what persuaded me to give GNUCash
a try].  But, 'succinct' is not a word I'd use to describe the way this
feature is documented, and for a person like myself who has his hands full
running a small business, something more succinct would be helpful.  As it
stands, the entire section must be read carefully in order to grasp the
overall "shape" of the feature.

Clearly, 'clearly' is in the eye of the beholder.  The author of the review
misinterpreted the manual just as I did, and we were both making an honest
effort to use the software properly.  I disagree that the doc all that
plainly puts "automatic" in the context of a cron job.  It simply says that
the command X *can* be used to update prices, and that it *can* be automated
by creating a crontab entry.  Indeed, "automatic" is used ambiguously in
that the 'Get Quotes' button is by implication also automatic updating.