Is there a way to merge diverged books?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri May 21 14:03:43 EDT 2010

CAVEAT

>>>[...]
>>>I didn't add any accounts since split, I only have been adding new transactions. Given that gnucash stores it's database as gzipped xml, is there a chance to merge the databases somehow? Is the format of the database documented somewhere?
>>>

>>Try it out: gunzip both the files, put both the XML files in a single directory, and run a merge. If you've meticulously entered different transactions in different files, you'll see no conflicts. If you do see conflicts, you'll at least know what they are.
>>

>Note that this is not officially supported.
>
>Ideally you should only use a single data file, and only one person
>should make edits.  If there are multiple people you should make sure
>you share a single data file, and only one person is making edits.

Speaking from a few decades experience in the cypher mines .............

What you do FIRST is make a COPY of the files you propose to merge. You
try merging THOSE (and see the results). That way, if not satisfactory
at least your original files haven't been disturbed and you are no worse
off than when you started. The secret of experiencing fewer disasters is
test, test, test, and whenever possible work in such a way that you can
cleanly back out from any changes.

That of course isn't specifically GnuCash advice but general purpose advice.

Michael D Novack