unable to enter a split transaction

Jacob Wegelin jacobwegelin at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 12 15:35:34 EST 2010

I am running gnucash 2.2.9 which I installed a day or two ago on my
Macbook Pro.

I imported a bunch of QIF files that I had exported from Quicken. The
import seemed to work okay *except* that gnucash was unable to read
European accents such as ü or the í in Guayakí. Any letter with an accent
on it was deleted. Thus for instance Guayakí turned into Guayak.

Subsequently I have attempted to enter new transactions in gnucash. Single
(non-split) transactions I have been able to enter part of the time. Part
of the time, gnucash freezes up or "hangs". In that case, after I type in the
Description no amount of clicking on the Transfer field permits me to type
into it.

But I have repeatedly been unable to enter split transactions. The
attached screen shots demonstrate this.

2010-11-12-1513-gnucashSplitTransaction.png shows what the register looked
like after I had typed in the split.

Then I clicked the "enter" button, and the transaction simply
disappeared.

2010-11-12-1514-gnucashSplitTransaction.png shows the register after
this happened.

What am I doing wrong?  How can I enter a split transaction?

Now, an example of gnucash freezing up:

Subsequently I simply entered the transaction without splitting it. The
first time, the tab "froze up" or hung, as described above; I was
unable to type into the Transfer field. I closed the tab, clicked "OK"
when it asked if I wanted to save the current transaction, and then
reopened the account. Then I was able to enter the transaction (without
splitting it). The following screen shot (see attachment) shows the aborted (null, zero)
transaction followed by the transaction that I was able to enter.

2010-11-12-1514-gnucashSplitTransaction.png

Also, is there any way to paste into the fields when entering data? I
woiuld like for instance to copy the name of the merchant or the name of
the product I have purchased, out of some other document, and paste it
into gnucash. But I don't find that "paste" works.

Thanks for any info.

Jacob Wegelin