Investments

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 10:29:42 EST 2010

--- On Tue, 11/23/10, Dennis Powless <claven123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The dividends operate the same way...  they are all
> handled in the
> fund account, that shows income in the income account.
> However, I will
> move it to the asset level.
> I don't really use gnucash to track taxes and all that so I
> don't
> really need it.

Wait, Dividends should still "start" at the Income Level, as I noted in the flow it would be

Income Account -> Cash Account -> Fund Account

As others have said, if you start dividends at an Asset you've got a perpetually growing Asset that really doesn't exist.

> One other thing... the asset cash account will continue to
> get smaller
> if I use it for the dividends.  eg reinvest the
> dividends in the fund
> account.  It shows a transfer of money to the
> asset:cash account.  How
> do I off set this decrease in funds (the opposing
> transaction)?  I
> can't zero out an asset account at the end of the
> year.  With the
> purchase of shares and transfer of money the opposing
> transaction is
> the income account.

Not sure which Asset account you're talking about here, the Income account would have a growing balance (until zero'd) the cash account should simply reflect how much cash you have in your 403B account right now (for my 401K it's zero most of the time) and then the Fund accounts would reflect how many shares you have (an through price editor, what they are worth).

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com