Monthly Income/Expense Reports

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Apr 5 06:22:30 EDT 2011

Tony wrote:

>Without reviewing the prior discussion, I think I recall this being about
>comparative, side-by-side statements for some relevant period (mostly
>likely, monthly).

If it is of any use in this discussion -- the side by side presentation
of two consecutive fiscal periods is the approved way for non-profits to
present their reports so this wouldn't be something just for "personal use".

However as described would still need to be exported into some editable
format. For the personal use Tony envisions for purposes of more
analysis and for the reports used by non-profits, insertion of any
annotation that might be required to explain unusual items.

Precisely what I was told NOT to bother doing (why I have not created
such a custom report). Obviously can run within gnucash and export the
four parts of this (two income statements and two balance sheets) and
then do the combining and further editing in the editor application of
the accountant's choice. In effect I was told any accountant would have
a very strong personal preference in the way of editors so just give
them the raw reports.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

PS: If you want to tackle this keep in mind that best to first decide
how you will handle all the "interesting" situations. For example, the
account trees might not be identical for the two periods (some accounts
might have been added or moved in the tree). You mustn't assume that
there will be corresponding entries for the side by side.