A quickfill problem and an enhancement suggestion

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 18:45:02 EDT 2011

--- On Tue, 4/5/11, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: A quickfill problem and an enhancement suggestion
> To: "Geert Janssens" <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
> Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org, abrahams at acm.org
> Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 2:31 PM
> On 4/5/2011 2:53 PM, Geert Janssens
> wrote:
> > On dinsdag 5 april 2011, Paul Abrahams wrote:
> >> I earlier wrote:
> >> Aside from the fact that it requires someone to go
> to the effort of
> >> implementing my suggestion that an initial
> backspace cancels autofill, are
> >> there any problems with the idea itself?
> > No, as far as I'm concerned the idea is good. I don't
> know how much effort it
> > would be to implement though.
> >
> > Geert
> Somehow my reply to the original comment stating that in
> the case of
> auto fill the backspace key only deletes the extra
> characters but not
> the last character typed was lost.  Paul, your
> suggestion has already
> been implemented.

Actually, not quite. My experience is that, yes, a backspace does clear out the remaining Quickfill--but only until you start typing again. If your Quickfill term is "MY GLOBAL BANK TRANSACTION" and you type "My Gl<backspace>", the entry you typed appears. But the moment you start again with the "o", the Quickfill takes over again (and again, and again). This will continue until you have typed out "My Global Bank Transaction.<backspace>". So now, instead of saving you keystrokes, the Quickfill has forced the user to type the full entry out--and then two more keystrokes.

What's the point of having Quickfill like this?

David